The first telegraph circuit in New Zealand was brought into operation on 1 July 1862, between Lyttelton and Christchurch. This two stamp issue commemorated the centenary of the telegraph service in New Zealand.
A G Mitchell designed the 3d denomination and his father L C Mitchell designed the 8d.
Telegraph Centenary - 3d
This stamp depicts a hand operating an early morse key, against a background of the Port Hills, Lyttelton. A line of poles carries a telegraph wire from the left foreground of the stamp over the hills in the centre.
Telegraph Centenary - 8d
This stamp depicts a 1960s teleprinter and white teleprinter tape.
|Date of Issue:||1 June 1962|
|Designers:||A G Mitchell, Wellington and L C Mitchell, Wellington|
|Printers:||Harrison and Sons, England|
|Stamp Size:||41mm x 25mm|
|Sheet Size:||120 stamps per sheet|
|Perforation Gauge:||14.75 x 14|
|Paper Type:||Guard Bridge, chalk surfaced, multiple NZ and star watermark|