Centenary of Government in Wellington

The seat of Government in New Zealand was transferred from Auckland to Wellington in 1865. At the request of Cabinet a special stamp was issued to mark the centenary of this event.

Issue information

The design was based on a watercolour painted by L B Temple in 1867 depicting the Wellington Provincial Council Building. Parliament met there from 1865 to 1873, the first session being opened on 26 July 1865. The commemorative stamp was issued a century later on 26 July 1965. The building, which was situated where the General Assembly Library now stands, was destroyed by fire in 1907.

Stamp Bulletin

This stamp issue first appeared in New Zealand Post Stamp Bulletin No. 35 in July 1965.

Acknowledgments: Bulletin scanned and provided by John Biddlecombe of the New Zealand Society of Great Britain. Their web site offers further information useful to those interested in the stamps and postal history of New Zealand. Link: http://www.nzsgb.org.uk/

Product Listing for Centenary of Government in Wellington

Click on image to enlarge.

Image Title Description Price
Single Stamp Single 4d 'Centenary of Government in Wellington' gummed stamp. 4d

Technical information

Date of issue: 26 July 1965
Designer: New Zealand Post Office, Wellington
Printer: Harrison and Sons, England
Stamp size: 41mm x 24.5mm
Sheet size: 120 stamps per sheet
Process: Photogravure
Perforation gauge: 14.75 x 14.25
Paper type: Chalk surfaced, multiple NZ and star watermark
Period of sale: This stamp remained on sale until 15 March 1966.